Looking to learn how to make your own bread? This bread recipe is simple and easy to follow. Just remember, many bread makers will tell you it takes a few tries to develop that special touch. If you would like to learn more before getting started, check out these bread making tips and tricks.
Prep the Dough
- Pour the warm water in a large bowl. Slowly stir in the dry yeast and continue to stir until all of the yeast is dissolved.
- Add the salt, sugar, and milk to the bowl. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the shortening and the first 2 cups of flour.
- If needed, begin adding more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough chases the spoon around the bowl.
Prep for Baking
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead about 10 minutes. Add small spoonfuls of flour as needed, until the dough is soft and smooth (not sticky to the touch). Keep the surface floured to prevent the dough from sticking to the board and your hands.
- Put the dough in a greased or buttered bowl, turn the dough over so that the top of dough is greased.
- Cover and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free spot such as an oven with the light on for about 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Once ready, punch down the dough. Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 5 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Form the dough into a loaf and set it gently into a greased bread pan.
- Cover and place somewhere that is not chilly or drafty. Let rise for about 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- Score the risen dough by cutting three slashes across the top with a knife.
- Place it in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Then turn out the loaf of bread and let cool on a rack or clean dishtowel.
Prep: 20 mins + Cook: 45 mins + Rising: 90 mins = Total: 65 mins
This bread recipe makes 1 loaf or 12 servings
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (approximately)