These Chocolate Mint Wafers are the perfect holiday treat! They look so pretty edged with red and green nonpareils, and they would make a fabulous, luxury addition to your holiday cookie platters.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually mix in the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Scoop out the dough by the teaspoon and form balls; place on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart (they won’t spread much). Dip the bottom of a glass in water, and flatten the balls into 1 1/2-inch rounds (about 1/4-inch thick). Bake until slightly firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Keep parchment on baking sheets.
- Make the chocolate coating: Place the chocolate, peppermint extract and salt in a glass microwave-proof pyrex bowl or measuring cup. Heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is smooth and hot. Remove from the microwave and set next to parchment lined baking sheets. If you do not have a microwave, you can melt the chocolate in a small pan over very low heat, stirring constantly until melted.
- Dipping the cookies: Set each cookie across the tines of a fork, dunk in chocolate. Tap the underside of the fork on the side of the bowl to allow excess chocolate to drip off and create a smooth top. Gently place cookies on baking sheet, and decorate with sprinkles (if desired).
- Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened, about 30 minutes, and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Tip: These may be frozen.
Prep: 45 minutes Bake: 12 Minutes
about 34 cookies
- 1 pouch (1 cup) GOOD MEASURES® all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large Eggland’s Best egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- sprinkles or nonpareils, for decorating (optional)
GLUTEN FREE OPTION:
Replace Good Measures traditional all-purpose flour, on a cup-for-cup basis, with GOOD MEASURES GLUTEN FREE ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR for a delicious gluten free alternative. All ingredients are readily available as gluten free. Please read package on all ingredients to ensure gluten free.