- STIR flour and salt in large bowl until blended. Cut shortening into flour mixture using pastry blender or fork until shortening pieces are the size of peas. Gradually add just enough water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with fork just until dough holds together and forms a smooth ball.
- SHAPE dough into a ball for single pie crust. Divide dough in half and shape into two balls for double crust pie. Flatten into 1/2-inch thick disk(s). Wrap disk(s) in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- ROLL dough on lightly floured surface, rolling from center outward. For 9-inch pie plate, roll into an 11-inch circle. For 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate, roll into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to pie plate.
- For SINGLE-CRUST pie, fold edge under and press to form a standing rim. Flute edge as desired. Chill until ready to use.
- For DOUBLE-CRUST pie, roll disk for bottom crust, trimming edges of dough even with outer edge of pie plate. Fill unbaked pie crust according to recipe directions. Roll out remaining dough disk. Place dough over filled pie crust. Trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4-inch overhang. Fold top edge under bottom crust. Press edges together to seal. Flute edges as desired. Cut several 1/2-inch slits in top crust to vent steam. Bake according to specific recipe directions.
FOR SINGLE-CRUST BAKED PIE SHELL
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Thoroughly prick bottom and sides of unbaked pie crust with fork. Bake on lowest rack in oven 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack before filling.
- 1 1/3 cups Good Measures® all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 to 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 2 cups Good Measures® all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water
- 2 2/3 cups Good Measures® all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 6 to 10 tablespoons ice cold water