A deliciously dark, rich gingerbread dough. Cut out and decorate whatever shapes you’d like!
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, allspice, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the margarine (or butter) and brown sugar until fluffy. Drizzle in the molasses, mixing well and scraping the sides of the bowl a couple of times to make sure it’s evenly combined. Add the eggs and maple extract and mix. Add the flour mixture in three batches, beating until just combined after each addition.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or more if you have time!
- When you’re ready to bake the cookies, remove the dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 350 F. When the dough is soft enough to roll but still firm, divide it in half and roll out each half between 2 sheets of plastic wrap (dividing it in half just makes it more manageable.) Cut out shapes of your choosing and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a baking mat. Bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of cutters used, until the cookies are baked through but still soft. Remove with a spatula and allow to cool completely. ***IMPORTANT NOTE: Bake for less time if you desire a softer cookie and if cookies are small. Keep an eye on them and don’t let them get too crisp.
- To make the royal icing, beat the powdered sugar, milk, and egg whites until thick but still able to be piped. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a fine tip (or a squirt bottle.)
- Decorate the cookies however you’d like, using icing as an accent and as glue to hold on the candies. Allow icing to set before transporting or serving.
prep (including cooling) 3 hours. Bake 18 minutes. Decorate...up to you!
about 24 cookies
For the Cookie:
- 6 pouches (6 c.) GOOD MEASURES all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 c. margarine or softened butter
- 1 1/2 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 c. molasses
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tbsp. maple extract
For the royal icing:
- 2 lb. powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/3 c. whole milk, plus more if needed for thinning
- 2 whole large egg whites
Miscellaneous candies, sprinkles, and other decorations
GLUTEN FREE OPTION:
Replace Good Measures® traditional all-purpose flour, on a cup-for-cup basis, with GOOD MEASURES® GLUTEN FREE ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR for a delicious gluten free alternative. All ingredients are readily available as gluten free. Please read package on all ingredients to ensure gluten free.