1. Preparing the pan: Line a 9×13” baking pan with foil and coat it well with cooking spray. This will make it easy to remove the bars once they’ve cooled.
2. Wet Ingredients: Cream the butter with the brown sugar with a mixer. Once combined, it will be crumbly, but when you add the eggs and vanilla, it will be smooth after you mix it.
3. Dry Ingredients: Add the salt, baking powder, and flour and mix until combined. Stir in the M&Ms and sprinkles.
4. Placing in Pan: The dough will be wet at this stage, so scoop it into the prepared pan. Spray your hands with cooking spray to make it easy to spread the dough into an even layer. Top the dough with more M&Ms and sprinkles.
5. Bake: Bake the bars at 350°F for 22 to 25 minutes or until they start to turn golden. It’s best if they are a little underbaked when you take them out because they will continue to bake in the pan as they cool.
6. Storing: Store them in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for up to a month.
Holiday Colors: We love these cookie bars during the holidays, but you can make them for any holiday or event and just switch up the M&Ms and sprinkles. Red and white for Valentine’s Day, pastels for Easter, your favorite sports team colors, brown and orange for Halloween… the possibilities are endless.
Storing Tip: Once your cookie bars are thoroughly cooled, keep them in an airtight container. This will prevent them from drying out and hardening. They will keep for up to a week at room temperature, or you can freeze them for up to a month.