- Lightly grease a baking pan, 13 by 9 by 2 inches.
- In a bowl stir together water, yeast, and sugar and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl stir together flour and table salt and gradually stir into yeast mixture until mixture forms a soft dough. On a lightly floured work surface with floured hands knead dough 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic, and shape into a ball. Invert bowl over dough and let dough rest 10 minutes.
- On lightly floured surface roll out dough into a 13- by 9-inch rectangle and transfer to baking pan pressing into corners. Let dough rise, covered loosely with plastic wrap, in a warm place 30 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle dough with Parmesan, rosemary, coarse salt, and pepper to taste. Press indentations about 1/4 inch deep and 1 inch apart all over dough with lightly oiled fingertips and bake focaccia in middle of oven 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool focaccia in pan on a rack.
Makes four 6- by 4- inch servings
- 3/4 cup warm water (105°-115°F.)
- a 1/4-ounce package (2 1/2 teaspoons) fast-acting yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups Good Measures all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- coarse salt to taste